About the farm
The Wandle is situated 12 km north of Middlemarch, just over an hour from Dunedin. The farm runs approximately 17,000 stock units over 2500 hectares, ranging from tussock country to irrigated flats. This is a progressive business incorporating breeding stock along with several different finishing and value add enterprises on the 700 irrigated hectares. A large portion of the lamb finishing is part of the Headwaters chicory programe. We operate modern equipment and maintain a high standard of infrastructure, with continual development. We are a team of 6 permanent staff plus casuals over the summer.
About the job
This role will encompass management of a block plus input into the strategic running of the whole property. There is opportunity here for the successful candidate to further develop their pasture and stock management capabilities and chase performance in both these areas.
Duties will include
• Implementing the whole farm plan on your block
• feed budgeting, record keeping, stock rotation planning
• general stock work
• farm maintenance and repairs
• weed and pest monitoring and control
This position will report to the Stock Manager and work closely with other staff.
• Energetic, positive attitude, excellent attention to detail.
• Motivated to initiate and drive your own development.
• Proven stockmanship with a sound dog team.
• Competent with technology with well-developed record keeping.
• Strong communication skills, the ability to both understand and deliver instructions.
• Enjoy seeing the outcomes of your hard work.
• Conscientious about Health and Safety best practice.
There is a primary school bus from the front gate, and secondary from Middlemarch. With one of our boundaries being the Taieri River and the other being the Rock and Pillar conservation area there are many recreational activities on our doorstep. Also, on offer is:
• Ongoing training and support to enable career growth and development in all areas of stock, land, and people management
• A fun and positive work environment
• Competitive renumeration package plus overtime
• Variety of work
• Tidy 3-bedroom cottage
• We share performance results with all staff so the whole team can appreciate the outcomes of their hard work
Lone Star Farms has health and safety management systems in place and provide a safe and drug free workplace. The successful applicant will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug test.
For more information on this role please contact Angus Barr on 0275094000
Cover letter with CV can be sent to email@example.com
Applications for this position must have NZ residency or valid NZ work visa.