Shepherd General – Salary + Overtime
About the farm
The Wandle is situated 12 km north of Middlemarch, just over an hour from Dunedin. The farm runs approximately 17,000 stock units over 2500 hectares, ranging from tussock country to irrigated flats. This is a progressive business incorporating breeding stock along with several different finishing and value add enterprises on the 700 irrigated hectares. A large portion of the lamb finishing is part of the Headwaters chicory programme. We operate modern equipment and maintain a high standard of infrastructure, with continual development. We are a team of 6 permanent staff plus casuals over the summer.
About the job
This role will encompass day to day management of an area of the farm plus input into the strategic running of the whole property. There is opportunity here for the successful candidate to grow their pasture and stock management capabilities and chase performance in both these areas.
Duties will include
- general stock and yard work.
- farm maintenance and repairs.
- feed budgeting and record keeping.
- tractor work, weed and pest monitoring and control.
This position will report to the Stock Manager and work closely with other shepherds and the maintenance manager.
- Energetic, positive attitude, excellent attention to detail.
- Motivated to initiate and drive your own development.
- Proven stockman ship with a sound dog team.
- Competent with technology with well-developed record keeping.
- Strong communication skills, the ability to both understand and deliver instructions.
- Enjoy seeing the outcomes of your hard work.
- Conscientious about Health and Safety best practice.
There is a primary school bus from the front gate, and secondary from Middlemarch. With one of our boundaries being the Taieri River and the other being the Rock and Pillar conservation area there are many recreational activities on our doorstep. Also, on offer is:
- Ongoing training and support to enable career growth and development in all areas of stock, land, and people management
- A fun and positive work environment
- Competitive remuneration package plus overtime
- Variety of work
- Tidy 3-bedroom cottage
- We strive to share performance results with all staff so the whole team can appreciate the outcomes of their hard work
Lone Star Farms has health and safety management systems in place and provide a safe and drug free workplace. The successful applicant will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug test.
For more information on this role please contact Angus Barr on 0275094000.
Click here for the farm information sheet.
Applications for this position must have NZ residency or valid NZ work visa.